Thursday, November 13, 2008

And that was a good (riding) weekend...

Last weekend, I took the opportunity to bring Scotty back to my hometown. The week before when I brought Scotty home, the group ride with JKC's group did not materialised, washed out by the rain on Sunday morning. Not to be disheartened, I still took Scooty for a wet ride, only to be cut short by some fierce looking dog (betul ni, percayalah...read here)
So before packing Scotty for the ride back, checked with JKC on the proposed weekend ride, and he confirms it (barring any weather related cancellation). Scotty then take a ride on the bus (read here), and the driver actually asked what is in the big (bike) bag. When I explained to him that Scotty is in the bag, he looks surprised (which reminded me of the taxi driver which could not comprehend it is Scotty thats in the box).

I could hardly wait for Sunday, so on Saturday (after only a 3hr sleep as I reached my house at 4am), did a 20k ride on my own. JKC is busy, so cant really invite him. It was a good ride, trying to remind myself to spin (bola2api's favourite now) using the smaller chainring. Its a flat route, so 24kmh is doable. Drink at a specified interval, keeps myself hydrated, not to overdo things :) Good warm-up ride it is...
On Sunday, after confirmation the night before, beg the missus to send me to RV point so that I can reach there at 8am (the proposed start time). Reached there in a bit late at 8.05, but then again the group are trickling(?) in. JKC is already there, and introduced myself to everyone. RV is actually a bike shop, so take the time to ogled all things there. JKC has set his eyes on an adidas cycling shoe (well, he always this weakness for all things adidas)

The ride starts late actually, at almost 845am. As we ride away, my GPS chose to act up, refusing to find a satellite lock. After almost 5km, then only it find a satellite lock. Ceh! The ride is fun, not too easy but not to hard as the group consists of mostly newbies. JKC says that the group rode around 15kmh, but actually the group rode more like 20+kmh.
Actually, today's ride will make its stop at one of our fellow cyclist shop at the 16km mark. Thats the best part, so we took the scenic route and passes along very nice villages and the sight of 10 lycra clad (slow) cyclist was not your normal daily scene there as evident from the interest from the kampong folks. The kids are smiling and racing us. Ceh, vain sungguh rupanya, hehehe...

Stopped for a drink (its on the house of course), and JKC asked me to share with the group about the story behind iced drinks, is it good or bad? I shared with everybody that the most important things is that we take enough water and slightly chilled water is easier to drink which makes us drink more compared to warm water. Also shared on the habit to drink frequently to ensure we are fully dehydrated. Ceh, macam la expert sangat..
After a short pit stop, we make our way back. On the way, one of our fellow cyclist hurt his knee. JKC played sweeper, but the guy eventually asks him to go on and he'll cycle slowly (anyway JKC is driving to KL in the afternoon so he is in a hurry). At the IM intersection I bid adieu to JKC and those guys and ride home. That adds an extra 15k to my ride. Just nice.
Maybe I should do this weekly ride with JKC more often then, hehehe... Thanks to JKC for inviting me and Abg Towkay for the free drinks. And if every ride starts late, maybe I should ride to the RV then. That would add another 20k to my ride. Slow and steady Bon, do not want to overdo it...

2 comments:

bola2api said...

kat mana ni?

Enche Bon said...

Aini,

Ni kat Kuantan, my hometown. usually balik every week or at least, fortnightly. Ada kawan2 ajak ride, angkut la basikal balik kampung.