Tuesday, November 04, 2008

And the dogs make short of it...

Last weekend I make an effort to transport my bike back to my hometown (actually I was able to hitch a ride both ways, hehe). JKC has been organising a weekend ride for the past few weeks now and he says that I could either hang out with his 15kmh group or the fast 25kmh one on Sunday. The invite to hang with the slow one is welcomed indeed (haven't had much mileage in my legs la)


I make the most of the night before giving lots of tender loving care, wiping it over, caressing and scrubbing, cleaning and lubricating where needed. Hep, I am talking about my bike la people. Checked with JKC on the scheduled meeting point, the meeting time, how many people are going etc. And I go to sleep that Saturday night with anticipation. Even if its raining a bit that night...


So imagine my dilemma on Sunday morning when JKC told me that the ride is off as its still raining. His reasoning is that most people on his ride is newbie, so he do not want them to catch a cold. Ceh, do I pack and bring my bike all this way only to be kayoed by some slight drizzle?


Definitely not, so I suited up and readies my bike. Hmm, the road is still wet so better be careful. Thought of riding all the way to Sg Lembing, as the rolling hills would give a good workout. Its still drizzling but I took it all in my stride and treat it as a refreshing ride (other than needing to hose down the bike later :( )


As I was minding my own, my canine radar was suddenly alerted by a  slight movement 200m up the road. You see, I have always been terrified of dogs since I was chased by a group of 20 stray dogs when I was 11, which fortunately I outsprinted somehow. Putting a brave front, I cycled cautiously by the dog on the roadside. He gave out a bark, and my heart jumped. Ceh, buat takut orang je...


With that under control, I continued in the rain feeling quite good, until a few kilometers away. As I reach the Chinese cemetary, the road gradually rise on the back of three rolling hills. No problem. That is up til the middle of the second hill, when... BIG PROBLEM. I saw 5 dogs, making a line at the top of the hill looking menacingly at me. Shite!


That means I DO need to turn back. There is no way I can outsprint 5 dogs going uphill. If its downhill, I'll take my chances, even if its wet and drizzling. What else to do, have to cut short my ride then. Baru 14km nih...


But rather than going back, I took a slight detour and decided to enter the highway. Just to check how long will I be on the highway before being hauled up by the authority (as it is illegal for a bicycle to be on a highway), hehehe. But thats another story :)

No comments: