Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A wash(ed) out...

Read this earlier...


Ride - almost anytime, anywhere on the road when it rains

          - all you need is guts (or skill) in the corners - and waterproof rain gear


Its Dumb to Ride... 

          - During thunderstorms. You can get zapped by lightning froma storm up to 20 miles away

          - in extreme downpour. Visibility is less than zero, and no car on the planet is expecting to see you out there


So, as usual I planned to ride home. As I do not feel like riding the day before (its raining actually), I took both bike and car home in anticipation of riding to work in the morning. Next morning, CH is not riding as he has to run some errands later, so ride alone to office.


Later in the evening, CH offers a ride home but I decline as I felt like riding home (even if the sky looks dark). It starts to drizzle but I chose to wait it out. "Surely it'll be lighter soon..." I tried to reason. At 7pm, I rode out in the rain. Riding in the rain is always refreshing for me. That is until the 4km mark, where the heavens open up and rains heavily.


"Alamak, Petronas dah 1 kilo kat belakang, and nak sampai Esso would mean a few hills to climb...", to which I decided to press on. The visibility drops and the pouring rain make it harder to climb. I am soaked to the bone and the covering of my bag give little protection to the files inside. After the climb, came the sharp descent. On normal days it would be easy, but water on the road means a lots of guts needed. And skills (and prayers). Especially if you know that your front brake is not that good.


Negotiated the traffic light safely somehow and decided to stop at Esso. At least until the rains recedes, I reasoned. But then again, the rain do not seem to slow down and then I still do need to cycle home. So I made the decision to brave the rain, and starts to walk rather than cycle. Over the big hill I walk Scotty and down the other side. Lightning lights up the sky, and my brain reminded me of wjat I have read earlier. Ceh! Not now please...


Safely walk to the other side and begins to cycle. Luckily the rains slowly becomes a drizzle, and after draining water out from the frame, the ride is more bearable. Not  that many cars, but as most of them wont be expecting to see a bike after the heavy rain so still needs to keep my visibility high. After riding slowly for another 35mins, I reached home wet, cold and dirty...


That reminds me, not to do that again (ride during a thunderstorm that is, hehehe)...

No comments: