Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Man on a mission Part II

This year, I made up my mind to do something about it. I want to reclaim my (fitter) body back (at least not being 25kg overweight). I need a target. To achieve that target, I need a plan. A good plan.

First the TARGET.

Let just say that I'm currently 'overweight'. My BMI are, 27.8. Body Mass Index (BMI) is a measure of body fat based on height and weight, which puts me in the 'overweight' category. A healthy BMI is between 19-24.9. That means I need to weight in at no more than 81.5kg. From my current weight, I will need to lose another 9.5kg. It is going to be easier said than done, though.

Then, the PLAN.

Five years ago when I was in the best shape of my life (my then girlfriend would disagree though, as she find me too thin) losing weight was quite easy. I trained hard, say 6-7 hours a day, keep an eye on my eating and be well rested. Now, it would take a bit of a juggling. Work will take a sizable number of hours, other commitments too. So its less straightforward.

The faster and easier (healthier) way would be to exercise more and reduce calories. So my plan is to work out regularly and reduce calorific intake. I eat more frequently (with smaller portion) to ensure no insulin spike, and put in some exercise. The exercise of choice, what else, an indoor rower. After all, its one of the sports that uses whole body movement.

For motivation, I have challenge myself to row a total of 1,000,000 meters by the end of the 2007. Yup, I wanted to be a 1 Million Meters Club member :) Also, the workout will prepare me for the Malaysian Indoor Rowing Championship. I will take this year's competition as an opportunity to 'test the water' so to speak, as I have been away so long from competitive rowing. Next year, my target would be different, with competition in mind.

In middle of next month, will start my weight training as hopefully it will accelerate my weight loss, due to longer elevated metabolic rate after such workout. Haven't finalized the workout, but most probably high reps, low weight with cables and machines. Less on free weights. I am much more interested in toning, rather than hypertrophy. Back to what I'm doing 5 years back.

So much for my mission, the target and the plan. I'll update all of you progress next month.

No comments: