Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Looking East

The recent trip to the East Coast state of Terengganu (and Kelantan) is a bit easy on the pocket, especially on the 'makan' part. Once we checked in, we got lost (disoriented, hehe) looking for the nearest town, to have something to eat. We took a wrong turn and entered Kelantan... oops!


Once we realised we are heading the wrong way, we turned back and chanced upon a 'makan' place off the road. As it was almost 6pm, we opt for roti canai, roti telur, teh-o and iced milo. The curry tasted extra nice, and the portion are OK. The price? Its very nice on the pocket. Total cost? RM3.50, hehe..


The next day, breakfast at the hotel are OK but most probably due to the small number of people staying there, only small selection are available. So, we stuff ourselves up (its buffet), and off we go. It was a ho-hum affair, up til lunch. I finally found the way to nearby town, but its busy. Looked for a car wash, but the one I dropped in, costs a bomb. Sorry sir, maybe next time. 


Luckily I had lunch already and it was really cheap (IMHO). I had chicken rice and iced tea and it only cost me, RM2.90. The iced tea is RM1 and the chicken rice is only RM1.90. I can't even get a plate of chicken rice here for RM3.00. If I had iced tea-o instead, the whole meal would be cheaper, only costing RM2.40. As for the portion, look for yourself..



For dinner later that night, felt like eating seafood, but cancelled it as it wont be as fun eating alone. It should be cheap though as it is a coastal town. Bummer. Anyway, I went to the hotel's restaurant, and pore over their offerings. Hotel prices, so it should be a bit expensive, but I opted for western fare instead, black pepper chicken chop. Can't help it as I felt the price is quite cheap. It'll only set me back RM6.00 (and that is the actual hotel pricing)...


The next day, stuffed myself on Malaysia's favorite, Nasi Lemak, which sustained me the whole day. I don't even feel hungry til late afternoon. The anchovy sambal is very nice. And the orange juice, complements it (somehow). We go back around 2pm, using the coastal route and it took us longer as there are more traffic (and traffic light, hehe)


Once in Kemaman, i remembered why I haven't been to a particular 'makan' shop of late. Its a bit on the pricey side, as each satar costs RM0.50 (compared to RM0.25/pc in my hometown). The damage done to my pocket for a bowl of nasi air and curry beehoon, a glass of syrup and iced tea? Grand total of RM10. Ouch.


Mental note: DO NOT go to that shop again.

No comments: