Monday, January 08, 2007

Losing my mind...

Yesterday was littered with incidents of sorts that makes me wonder, "Am I losing my mind?". Not of the psychiatric kind but it seems to me that I had became more and more forgetful of late. This might have something to do with mid-life crises, I guess, hehehe...

Yesterday morning, I was supposed to go kayaking with a friend. As we are to meet up at around 8am, I thought of putting in an hour of so of cycling beforehand. So, there I was, preparing my bike and equipment for the ride. Woke up early enough, grab a light breakfast, put my bike, helmet etc in the car and out of the house by 7am. 15 minutes later, reached the meeting point and proceeded to set up my bike. D#@N! Of all things, I forgot my bike shoes! How am I going to cycle as my bike has clipless pedals on them. For those who are uninitiated...

Clipless pedals (also clip-in or step-in) require a special cycling shoe with a cleat fitted to the sole, which interfaces with a locking mechanism on the pedal. The pedals on your bike really serve only one purpose- as a means to transfer power from you to your bicycle, and be efficient at transferring power from you to your bicycle without pain & fatigue. This is my clipless pedal :)

So, it seems like I HAVE to cycle with my running shoes. Not the most
efficient way to do it but it beats running or jogging for 60 minutes. Less impact on my knees is better. My knees has been acting up since I put on the extra kilos. Affected my basketball game as I have been losing my vertical jump, cant rebound anymore. Verdict: Need to lose those kilos... fast!

Back to my morning, luckily for me, my friend send me a text message telling that they'll be a bit late and it give
s me another 20 minutes extra of cycling. Not complaining at all. Kayaking session went well, had late breakfast and went back to rest. Did some grocery shopping during lunch time, then some household chores at home and get some rest.

In the afternoon
, went for basketball. Had a long warm-up and shoot around. Knees seems to hold up quite well except for some instances during the game which felt like giving way due to sudden changes in direction. Win a few games, lost a few. Finished at around 710pm, took off my Polar transmitter and spend a few minutes talking to my friends. Drive home around 730, dropped by at a convenience store to buy some bread, then I realised... I cant remember where I'd put the HR transmitter.

D#@N! Not again! Do not tell me I left it at the courts? Rushed back there, and searched all over the place. Its already dark, and I used my car headlight to illuminate the courts area. Look for it in the car, in the boot. Look in the car and in the boot, AGAIN. The HR transmitter remains elusive, not seen anywhere. Aargh! This will cost me serious money. Then, resigned to the fact that its nowhere to be found, with a heavy heart I went back home...

Then, as I was preparing to bathe, I finally realised that my HR transmitter had been dislodged from my chest and its actually resting at the waistband of my shorts. No wonder I could not find it anywhere else... because its on me all this while. Silly me...

No comments: