Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One long weekend, no long ride?

The long holiday weekend normally would present numerous riding opportunity, but as it always is, "...Man plans, God decides...". I planned to ride on Saturday, Sunday, Monday AND Tuesday, alternating between long ride, short hard ride and long/short recovery ride. As fate would have it, something came up on Saturday, which put paid to my hopes of riding an easy 75km with Wari. Sorry Wari, bukan aku nak sabotaj ko punya training, hehehe...


So, on Sunday, I plan a comeback with revenge. Well, spanners are thrown into the plan as well as my partner in cycling crime is back to his hometown, which means I would be riding alone. He even forget to link me up with the JBS boys, which usually have rides on Sunday mornings (aku pun lupa nak tanya...aiyaa!


So, its a solo 50km ride then. The first 8km was a breeze, but once I took the left turn towards Tg Lumpur, I was hit from the front and sideways by fierce wind. It was no fun riding in  a headwind, and to be hit on the sides was worst. I weight almost 100 kilos and at some instances, I was nearly swept off with my bike, which prompted me to change into bigger gears. Ride lagi masa monsoon, elok duduk rumah tido je gamaknya...


The next day, make plans to ride again but miscommunication and sheer egoistical behavior (on my part that is) means easily a 40+km possible ride deteriorate into... no ride. Late that morning, I was left ruing lost chances. Moral of the story : Even if you make plans, be flexible enough to change if necessary.


The last day of the long holidays (and the few lost chances) means I would need to ride, by hook or by crook. Prepared early and by 745am were ready to ride. The monsoon season means there is a good chance that I would be battered by winds, but what doesn't break you, make you stronger, no? Unfortunately, the weather is a bit under, and rightly so, after riding for 15km, it started to rain.


Good thing it only last for some 20mins, but then the wind makes me feel colder than it actually is (the windchill factor). Its no fun riding in a wet, cold weather. Especially if you're riding alone. It just makes you want to stop and go back. Well, we can't have that do we? Finally decided to call it quits (sejuk sebenarnya) after 50km. Total planned ride : 200+km. Actual ride: 100km. Something is always better than nothing, right? Hehehe... alasan je la tu... 

No comments: